We all know that electronic devices + liquid = bad, but sometimes we get a little clumsy, or an over-excited child or pet comes along and OOPS!
What do I do?
Believe it or not, a spilling something on your laptop isn’t always a death sentence. If you act fast enough, it is possible to save your computer.
Turn it off
The first thing you want to do is turn off your computer. Push the power button and hold it down until the computer shuts down. Hurry, time is of the essence. The longer you allow power to run through wet electronics, the more likely you are to experience a short or other catastrophic damage to your device. That’s why this is quite possibly the most important step.
Unplug & Remove the battery
The very next thing that you’re going to want to do is unplug the power cord from the wall, and remove the battery, to make absolutely sure that power is not flowing to your computer. If the battery is inaccessible just make sure that all power to the device is off and that no lights are on and no fans are spinning. If you still see lights or hear the fan just hold the power button down until everything turns off.
Let dry for at least 72 hours
After you’ve made certain that all power to the computer is off, you’re going to want to let it dry out. Opening the lid and turning the laptop on its side helps to allow more air to flow through the various vents and ports as you let it dry out. Conventional wisdom say that you should let it dry for at least 72 hours. Be patient, turning it on while it’s still wet is a big no-no.
Before powering the device on be sure that there’s no liquid on or dripping from the device. If there is, allow the device to air out until it’s completely dry. Once dry it should be safe to insert the battery and plug the computer into the wall. Cross your fingers and push the power button. If everything powers on as normal, breathe a huge sigh of relief.